Sharon & Jeffrey Vitter Award for Engaged Scholarship
Deadline: Monday, March 26, 2018 11:59pm
This award recognizes outstanding examples of engaged scholarship. By engaged scholarship, we mean academic scholarship that has been taken off-campus and into the community, contributing to the public good. While student-centered pedagogical elements, such as service learning or volunteering, may be elements of an engaged project, the driving force of the project should be innovative, faculty-led research. This award seeks to recognize KU faculty members whose work exemplifies how academic research can have a positive impact on our communities.
KU faculty members of any rank whose primary appointment is within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) are eligible for consideration. Projects can involve more than one KU faculty member. Not all collaborators need to be appointed in the College, but the primary investigator for the project must be primarily appointed in CLAS. Collaborators will share in the award.
This award is intended for projects that have begun within the last two (2) years at the time of nomination.
Projects can be on-going, but there should be at least one tangible outcome of the project by the time of nomination.
Nominations will be evaluated on the following:
- Level of community impact of the project
- Level of innovation in scholarship the project demonstrates
- Promise that the project will continue to have a community impact into the future
The amount for the award is $1,200.
The Sharon & Jeffrey Vitter Award for Engaged Scholarship is administered by the Hall Center for the Humanities; however, the award is open to any researcher (and collaborators) whose primary appointment falls within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Individuals may self-nominate or be nominated by others. Winning the award does not disqualify the recipient from applying in future years.
All nomination materials must be submitted through the Hall Center Competitions Portal. Paper submissions will not be accepted. For an application to be verified as complete, and thus forwarded for committee review, applicants must:
1. Create an account or log in to an existing account.
2. Select the Apply Now button next to this competition.
3. Complete the Applicant Information form in the Portal.
4. Upload the following materials as 3 separate PDF or Word files:
- A two-page CV of all KU faculty members involved in the nominated project that includes credentials in engaged scholarship;
- A two-page description of the project, which describes the scholarship component, the community impact, and current tangible outcomes;
- A timeline of when the project began, what stage the project is currently in, and, if applicable, how the project will continue into the future
An interdisciplinary peer review panel of faculty in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will consider applications.
For questions regarding this award, please contact Hall Center Interim Director Clarence Lang (4-3054; email@example.com) or Interim Associate Director Sarah Bishop (4-7823; firstname.lastname@example.org).